This is the 3rd CNY that I'm spending in the US - and 3rd away from home and family. The times I was away from home during CNY - I could still go to some relative's home to crash and 'loh yee sang'. However, that's difficult to do since I'm probably 600miles from my nearest relative here in the US - and it's not (how can?!) a public holiday.
The last 2 CNYs here were pretty much non-events for us. In 2005 - both okm and I were down with colds after spending the weekend before in DC for Miz's 30th. That year, we had 'reunion' dinner with a Malaysian friend - at an Indian/Chinese restaurant. Last year, CNY we were supposed to celebrate the reunion dinner with our Chinese friends from the Chinese church - but we opted out last minute and had Italian instead, Vespa - very nice.
THIS year we are a teeny bit better. We're having some friends over for dinner on the eve - AND we'll be giving away our first angpows non-family members. Actually, we didn't realize that it was CNY eve when we arranged to have dinner so it'll be a surprise for them because I don't think they realize the significance of the date either since they're not 华人.
1st day of CNY we're meeting up with some of the Malaysians in Durham for Malaysian food at a Malaysian restaurant called Penang. :P (Why is it that whenever we meet up with Asians we have to eat Asian food? hmm...) As we hardly ever meet up with our fellow countrymen here, I'm looking forward to it. And there's a new guy with a feminine sounding name on the block. It's always fun to check out new people ... ;)
2nd day of CNY - Monday ... is back to work for me. Boo hoo. At times like these, 我很想家! except for the 八婆's and 八公's of course ... hehe.
shredded carrot, cilantro and prawn crackers and secret dressing :))
(Trivia: Kiwi fruit is also known as Chinese Gooseberry!)

May All Your Wishes be Fulfilled
Good Health Always!

1 comments:
`Xin Nien Kuai Le!' (sorry my Chinese typing is non-existent). am impressed that your Chinese is pretty good now that there're Chinese characters here and there in your post! hehe.. `hen hao'! ;)
Post a Comment